Breathing for Joy and Happiness: Breathing in, I know I am breathing in. Breathing out, I know I am breathing out.
This dharma talk is the second part of a four-part series on mindful breathing given by Kenley Neufeld at Lulu Bandha in Ojai, California. Original date is September 29, 2013.
Our text is from the Anapanasati Sutta translated from the Pali by the Venerable Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. The English title is the Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing. The term “sutra” is Sanskrit and is more common in the Mahayana tradition and better known in the west.
In this dharma talk, we focus on the the Second Four Exercises:
5. Breathing in, I feel joyful. Breathing out, I feel joyful.
6. Breathing in, I feel happy. Breathing out, I feel happy.
7. Breathing in, I am aware of my mental formations. Breathing out, I am aware of my mental formations.
8. Breathing in, I calm my mental formations. Breathing out, I calm my mental formations.
The recording begins with a guided meditation followed by the dharma talk. 60-minutes total.
- Write down your conditions of happiness.
- Recognize a neutral feeling and transform it into a pleasant feeling.